Thursday, November 12, 2009

Value


We are broke. I know it’s true for many American’s right now. For us after an extra month off work for me with no FMLA or Disability and Jeff on unemployment for several months, it is catching up with us. Don’t get me wrong, we eat and pay the rent and a few bills, but for now that’s about it. Jeff hates it when I say anything in terms of lack or negative, it’s bad energy and he is right- it is, but I am just being honest.. We are broke- nothing extra being purchased here. The thing is I don’t miss much and if I just don’t go out or online, I don’t feel lack or negative. We have what we need and it makes what we have all the more valuable.

Of course what we value a lot right now is our time with Banneker. I only work part time and Jeff can be with B while I work and we do not take this time for granted. But we thought hey, why not put Banneker to work too?

First stop, diaper service 2010 calendar contest. “Green Babies Wear Cotton Diapers” theme. I told Jeff it would be silly if we didn’t come up with something to send in, so Jeff’s idea was to throw B in with a bunch of diapers and take some pics. So we did. The contest deadline was last Wednesday at midnight. B had taken a nap a little late (poor child was all mixed up with daylight time) and I kind of panicked because I thought he was confused and would sleep through the night and we’d miss the deadline. Sure enough, he woke up less than an hour later, his regular nap length and he was in a GREAT mood. We clicked away and not only got this shot but about 50 other priceless ones. Not to mention a few giggles from him. So off the image went at about 10 p.m. to the diaper service and the very next day, it was official, we won! He is a 2010 calendar boy. One month of free diapers, way to go B! Next stop…well any suggestions? Contests? Agents you know?

He has no idea what we have done, making him work for his diapers at such a young age. And he doesn’t care, he had a great time laying in all the soft cotton diapers and giggling and having both mom and dad smile and give him lots of attention. I value what we did together as a family to accomplish this silly little victory. That’s how I see it not negative, not lack, not broke. That’s what value is anyway, right? It’s not about a deal you got at Walmart. It’s about what is positive and abundant and full in your life. In that little evening photo shoot I was reminded how rich my life is with the cutest baby in the world, a skill set to help me capture and share that and knowing some how some way we are truly doing all right.

1 comment:

Randrea said...

Super cute - it rocks to be a photographer with such an adorable babe. I hope the shot makes the cover!